iOS 9 Low Power Mode: See What It Is, Enable, Disable, And Do Everything Else
Such a long title, right? We did that for a reason as we are going to cover many things here. Consider this article as a “FAQ” (Frequently Asked Question) on Low Power Mode.
First, we will talk about the Low Power Mode, then explain you the right way to enable and disable it. Along the way, we will further discuss some of the finer points you need to know.
Low Power Mode: What is it?
Low Power Mode is a new feature added by Apple that is available exclusively on iOS 9 devices. Note that the device must be running iOS 9 to take advantage of this feature.
And what are the advantage it offers? If you want your iPhone to last longer, and consume less battery power, then Low Power Mode is what you need.
This mode lets you run your iOS devices even when you have less than 1% battery charge. In fact, from our research, the old Apple iPhone 4S lasted for 45 minutes despite the 1% battery it had.
This is possible only when you turn ON Low Power Mode on your iOS devices.
Low Power Mode: Key points to know
Some things to note about Low Power Mode:
- This feature is available only in iOS 9 and not in earlier iOS firmwares like iOS 8 or iOS 7. It works only on Apple iPhones (6s, 6s Plus, 6, 6 Plus, 5s, 5c, 5, 4s) and not on iPads. See this: Can’t Find Low Power Mode in iPad?
- This feature works because it temporarily reduces the power consumption that happens in the background – for example, you are fetching Gmail or Apple emails automatically, or your Facebook notifications are ON, and so on. All that is stopped temporarily when Low Power Mode is enabled.
- This feature does really work. It saves battery and if you are a power user, or someone using iPhone as you travel, or in your holidays, then we highly recommend you to fully charge the device, then turn ON Low Power Mode.
- Enabling this feature will turn the battery bar into yellow color (as opposed to the default green color).
Low Power Mode: How does it work?
As mentioned above, Low Power Mode disables features that consumes a lot of your device’s battery life. And that means the motion effects and any animated wallpaper you have on your iPhone will be temporarily stopped.
It has been told by Apple that enabling this feature will extend the battery life by up to three hours. We really think it does more than that.
Enable Low Power Mode in iOS 9: How to do it
Follow these steps to turn ON Low Power Mode on your iPhone:
Method 1: Enable Low Power Mode Manually
- Unlock your iPhone and go to Settings.
- Tap on Battery.
- Slide the button (toggle it) to enable Low Power Mode as shown:
Note: “Battery” menu is located under the Touch ID & Passcode and above Privacy button
Method 2: Let Lower Power Mode Remind You
The second method to enable Low Power Mode requires you to do nothing. In fact, when the iPhone battery goes down to 20%, you will be issued a warning window that says “Low Battery.” On iOS 8, that’s all you get.
But in iOS 9? You will get the “Low Battery” warning window with two links: “Low Power Mode” and “Close.” Tap on “Low Power Mode”to activate it immediately.
Disable Low Power Mode in iOS 9: How to do it
Follow these steps to turn OFF Low Power Mode on your iPhone:
- Unlock your iPhone and go to Settings.
- Tap on Battery (below Touch ID & Passcode).
- Slide the button (toggle it) to disable Low Power Mode as shown:
How Much of iPhone’s Battery Does Low Power Mode Really Save?
Apple users are seeing the benefits of activating Low Power Mode. Look at these tweets below that shows the amount of battery this mode helps in saving:
Tweet #1: Do you forget to charge your device? Low Power Mode is for you:
Low Power Mode on iOS 9 is awesome. Going to come in handy for those who forget to charge their phones on a routine basis!
— Michael Kennedy (@Mikechubs) August 4, 2015
Tweet #2: How on earth is Low Power Mode so good:
iOS 9 low power mode is superb. From 3% last night to 2% this morning. How on earth.
— Airoumon (@graynoize) August 11, 2015
Tweet #3: Is Low Power Mode a life saver? Yep:
This low power mode in iOS 9 is going to be a life saver pic.twitter.com/Hb1TFHw3hs
— 0114 (@PalizeMusic) August 13, 2015
As someone rightly points out, we need Low Power Mode in the Control Center in iOS 9 – so all we have to do is swipe from the bottom of the screen to enable/disable it:
Apple should make low power mode accessible from the control center in iOS 9.
— mohaned sayegh (@mohaneds) August 12, 2015
Last but not the least, here’s a good tip: Just enable Low Power Mode to charge your device quickly:
With iOS 9 low power mode on, the iPhone charges fast.
— ⓢⓒⓞⓣⓣ (@scottaw) August 20, 2015
Over To You
We have shared lots of tips and tutorials on using Low Power Mode. All of them are basic, and something you should know.
One thing that was surprising was that it works without any hiccups. And this step is a much-needed one that will bring a smile on many faces. With all this said, what do you think of the new Low Power Mode?
Do you like it? No? Yes? Let us know through the comment section below.